[openib-general] mapping between IP address and device name

James Lentini jlentini at netapp.com
Fri Jun 24 07:16:45 PDT 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Fab Tillier wrote:

> [...]

If we place the IP address into the CM private data it will create
interoperability problems. Upper layer protocols like NFS-RDMA, would
only be able to communicate with implementations that also placed the
address in the CM private data.

How would an NFS-RDMA client written directly to the IB verbs layer
communicate with an NFS-RDMA server written to kDAPL?

The NFS-RDMA client in this configuration would need to place the IP
address in the CM private data. In effect, we've added a new (albeit
small) component to the NFS-RDMA protocol.

Rather than add this mechanism into every ULP, I think it would be
better to provide it as a core service of the network.

james