[openib-general] mapping between IP address and device name

Caitlin Bestler caitlin.bestler at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 10:05:49 PDT 2005

The presumption behind authenticating by remote address is
that the local subnet is sufficiently administered so as to
prevent address spoofing.

That would require firewalls, configured switches and other
techniques for an IP network, and for IB ensuring that the
IB subnet administration is not simply accessible to anyone.

I am certain that somewhere in the NFS specs it clearly
states that the application SHOULD NOT use AUTH_SYS
unless these sorts of assurances are in place.

Right.

But it's not our place at the transport layer to tell the
application that their security policy is flawed.

We have existing applications that want a somewhat
authenticated remote IP address delivered to them.
Actual use of the wire protocol address *will* be
required to support iWARP. The question is what
InfiniBand should do.

The DAT specification was deliberately written so
that the actual GID can be reported here *if* the
GID can also be used to connect to. That suggests
that address translation is only really needed for
IPv4 addresses.

Tom can comment on whether an IPv6 format
address meets the needs of NFS. It obviously
SHOULD, but he'd no better than I do on how
common IPv6 format support is in NFS code.