[openib-general] mapping between IP address and device name

Talpey, Thomas Thomas.Talpey at netapp.com
Fri Jun 24 12:14:37 PDT 2005

At 02:27 PM 6/24/2005, Hal Rosenstock wrote:
>On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 13:51, Talpey, Thomas wrote:
>> mentioned earlier. For better or for worse, the ATS approach is easily
>> administered and does not impact any protocol layers outside of its
>> own. I think of it as ARP for IB.
>
>reverse ARP for IB

Actually, I did mean ARP. It's only necessary to answer the questions
"please send this to address foo" (for making connections), along with
"what address sent this request" (for accepting connections and export
checking).

There is no need for RARP, which would answer the question "who is
supposed to belong to this MAC address". In fact, I don't want to know
the answer to that! :-) That's link layer stuff, three floors down.

Tom.