[openib-general] IP addressing on InfiniBand networks

Roland Dreier rolandd at cisco.com
Tue Jun 28 12:41:26 PDT 2005

    James> First off, here [are the] requirement we are trying to satisfy:

    James>    On the passive side of a connection, a InfiniBand kDAPL
    James> provider must determine a source IB address for an
    James> InfiniBand connection request.  This information can be
    James> obtain by a kDAPL consumer either in the
    James> DAT_CONNECTION_REQUEST_EVENT's dat_cr_arrival_event_data or
    James> dat_cr_query()'s dat_cr_param structure.

    James>    By interoperable, we mean that the solution must not
    James> introduce a non-standard protocol or force ULPs using kDAPL
    James> to perform special operations when using an InfiniBand
    James> network.

Since these two points are mutually contradictory -- the IB
communication management protocol does not carry enough information
for a connection request to be mapped uniquely back to a source
address -- we need to figure out which one to drop.

I would argue in favor of the solution selected by SDP: when defining
the binding of an abstract protocol to the IB transport, put the
source and destination IP addresses in the IB-specific connection
setup messages.

 - R.