[openib-general] IP addressing on InfiniBand networks

Kanevsky, Arkady Arkady.Kanevsky at netapp.com
Wed Jun 29 07:43:39 PDT 2005

Most of the existing apps kernel and user space are based on socket
addressing nad naming convention including IP addresses and ports.
All RDMA APIs made a decision to only deal with IP address and hide
IB/MAC
addresses under the covers so Consumer do not have to change their
existing IP addresses based setup.
We will severelly hamper adoption if we request any changes to
application
addressing scheme.
We should strive to the requirement that no ULP changes are needed
in order to use RDMA.
James were nicely summirizes the technical requirements derived from
this.

Second,
we have had 2 DAT plugfests were most of IB and iWARP providers
demonstrated
interoperability including the IP addressing one and satisfying all
requirements that James stated.
For IB it was done through ATS.
Before we adopt another solution we must ensure that it interoperates.

Third,
kDAPL and uDAPL are APIs for RDMA transports in general not just IB.
Obviously the problem of determining remote IP address and port are
IB specific. While currently people contemplating on using DAT Registry
as iWARP insertion point sooner or later the insertion point will be
pushed
down the stack. Since this is IB CM specific issue kDAPL and uDAPL
implementation
should have the proper design on how to switch the code path based on
underlying
RDMA network type to support this feature.

Arkady

Arkady Kanevsky                       email: arkady at netapp.com
Network Appliance                     phone: 781-768-5395
375 Totten Pond Rd.                  Fax: 781-895-1195
Waltham, MA 02451-2010          central phone: 781-768-5300