[openib-general] IP addressing on InfiniBand networks

James Lentini jlentini at netapp.com
Wed Jun 29 09:42:03 PDT 2005

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Roland Dreier wrote:

>    James> First off, here [are the] requirement we are trying to satisfy:
>
>    James>    On the passive side of a connection, a InfiniBand kDAPL
>    James> provider must determine a source IB address for an
>    James> InfiniBand connection request.  This information can be
>    James> obtain by a kDAPL consumer either in the
>    James> DAT_CONNECTION_REQUEST_EVENT's dat_cr_arrival_event_data or
>    James> dat_cr_query()'s dat_cr_param structure.
>
>    James>    By interoperable, we mean that the solution must not
>    James> introduce a non-standard protocol or force ULPs using kDAPL
>    James> to perform special operations when using an InfiniBand
>    James> network.
>
> Since these two points are mutually contradictory -- the IB
> communication management protocol does not carry enough information
> for a connection request to be mapped uniquely back to a source
> address -- we need to figure out which one to drop.
>
> I would argue in favor of the solution selected by SDP: when defining
> the binding of an abstract protocol to the IB transport, put the
> source and destination IP addresses in the IB-specific connection
> setup messages.

I want to make sure I understand your solution. If we choose this
option:

  - IB services (both kernel and user space) will be configured using
    IP addresses. By IB services, I'm referring to protocols that are
    layered directly on top of the InfiniBand protocols (e.g. SDP,
    NFS-RDMA, iSER, etc.).
  - IB services will resolve IP addresses to IB addresses using IPoIB
    ARP (all IB nodes would be required to support IPoIB).
  - each IB service would place appropriate IP address information in
    its protocol messages

Did I get it right?

james