[openib-general] Making gen2 transport neutral

Caitlin Bestler caitlinb at siliquent.com
Thu Jun 30 09:09:47 PDT 2005

That's a style question that I've heard both opinions on.
I'm comfortable with either approach, and actually prefer
the one you are suggesting. But I've ususally been on the
losing side of those discussions (not that I care strongly
either way).

If there's a citation in coding standards somewhere that
makes this a closed issue please cite it. That would close
the discussion quickly.

If there isn't a solid rule it really comes down to a
question of how likely a new RDMA transport is that is
not based upon either IB or iWARP. I doubt it. iWARP
differs from IB because it *had* to in order to ride
over TCP/IP and SCTP. IB has assumptions that are only
possible when the tranport and RDMA layers are intergrated
and share acknowledgement messages. For iWARP to emulate
that would have required redundant ack messages that would
have cluttered the network.