[openib-general] comments on DAT registry in OpenIB

Roland Dreier rolandd at cisco.com
Thu Jun 30 09:29:16 PDT 2005

    Christoph> Well, the plan was to take the parts of the DAT API
    Christoph> that make sense and put them into that generic RDMA
    Christoph> layer.  DAT advocates claimed there were such useful
    Christoph> higherlevel abstractions, but the more I look at the
    Christoph> dat/dat-provider codebase I doubt there's a lot of
    Christoph> them.

That seems fine.  I agree that there are probably some useful
abstractions that can be put in a library.  An example I can think of
is a facility to "connect queue pair X to remote IP address Y" -- that
would be useful to SDP, iSER and NFS/RDMA.  However, having a
different API for posting work requests or receiving events doesn't
seem useful.

 - R.