[openib-general] comments on DAT registry in OpenIB

Caitlin Bestler caitlin.bestler at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 10:37:06 PDT 2005

On 6/30/05, Bob Woodruff <robert.j.woodruff at intel.com> wrote:
> Catlin wrote,
> >application --------->   DAT Layer -----------> RDMA Verbs -------->
> >model-specific code
> >               \                                          ^
> >                 \                                      /
> >                  \------------------------------------/
>

> Tell me how you are going to make the CM transport independent.
> You cannot, they are simply different for IB and iWarp.
>
> We would have to do something like,
>
> rdma_verbs_connect(xport_type, ....)
> {
>     if (xport_type == ib) {
>        do_sa_queries()
>        ib_connect()
>      }
>     else if (xport_type == iwarp) {
>        do_iWarp_connect()
>     }
> }
>
> Thus all you have done is added another layer,

True.

My assumption is that each transport would have its
own CM module with similar, but not identical APIs.

An application wants to go direct it could do the
if/else ifs on its own.

We could define polymorphic interface which all
CMs MUST support, but each would have its own
transport specific extensions.