[openib-general] [MAD] RMPP reassembly

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Tue Mar 1 11:48:46 PST 2005

    Sean> * For the total transaction timeout, the equation given to
    Sean> calculate the value would probably require 1000+ lines of
    Sean> code, and the default value given is 40 seconds, which seems
    Sean> long.  Any opinions on what approach to take here?  I can
    Sean> either go with a total reassembly timeout value, or a
    Sean> timeout relative to the last received segment.  I'm leaning
    Sean> towards whichever ends up being easier to implement.

I'd be somewhat scared to tinker with the timeout calculations without
doing some heavy-duty research into how the modified version interacts
with a spec-compliant implementation.  Experience with TCP shows that
protocol behavior in the face of packet loss can be complex and
unpredictable and that minor changes in the protocol can lead to large
degradations in performance.

 - R.