[openib-general] IB Address Translation service

Talpey, Thomas Thomas.Talpey at netapp.com
Wed Mar 2 10:49:00 PST 2005

At 01:15 PM 3/2/2005, Yaron Haviv wrote:
>In order to issue a RARP I believe you should supply the full HW address
>to get the IP address back, how would you know the remote IPoIB QPN ? or
>can you do it without a QPN ?

To say nothing of the fact that there must be a RARPD, administered
and secured on each subnet. Aren't there enough daemons needed to
support this stuff as it is?

The advantage of ATS is that it "just works" whether wired point to
point, or via a switch, or whatever. It requires no central administration,
works as transparently as ARP and ND, and supports IP addressing so
applications don't have any ambiguity in how they resolve names.

If we get rid of ATS, what do we replace it with? Raw IB GID's from
the application??

Tom.