[openib-general] "arping" failing over ipoib

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Wed Mar 2 16:31:42 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 18:39, Tom Duffy wrote:
> I am trying to configure my fedora box to bring up ib0 on startup.
> Unfortunately it is failing, saying that the IP address is already taken
> on the network -- no matter what IP address I use.  I traced this down
> to the fact that the ifup script uses "arping" to test this condition.
> It appears arping is failing something like this:
>
> # arping -c 2 -w 3 -D -I ib0 192.168.0.62
> ARPING 192.168.0.62 from 0.0.0.0 ib0
> Sent 2 probes (2 broadcast(s))
> Received -1 response(s)

Here's what I see going on:

arpping appears to cause a join (with component mask 0x10083) to MGID .
0xFFFF:FFFF:FFFF:0742:0070:26C2:C43F:81C0. That does not look like an
IPoIB MGID to me. Not sure how this MGID is generated.

The SM refuses this with status 0x0600 (ERR_REQ_INSUFFICIENT_COMPONENTS)
which is what a join request gets when the group is not already created.