[openib-general] IB Address Translation service

Peter Kjellström cap at nsc.liu.se
Sat Mar 5 02:24:18 PST 2005

On Friday 04 March 2005 22.06, Talpey, Thomas wrote:
> At 02:58 PM 3/4/2005, Tom Duffy wrote:
> >In any event, I think being able to plop an IB network in an Ethernet
> >world will require things like RARP to work.  If there is no spec now,
> >it should be written.
>
> I can't remember the last time I saw a machine RARP. Well, maybe I do
> but it was like 1980-something. Since DHCP, I don't think there's a
> reason for hosts to do it.

If my memory servers me righ clustermatic uses rarp instead of dhcp since it's
much lighter and simpler. I can imagine that if you have to code something
that's not in a full OS, implementing a rarp based find-my-ip function will
seem alot more fun than implementing a dhcp-client (or porting one...).

/Peter

  Peter Kjellström               | E-mail: cap at nsc.liu.se
  National Supercomputer Centre  |
  Sweden                         | http://www.nsc.liu.se