[openib-general] IB Address Translation service

Yaron Haviv yaronh at voltaire.com
Sat Mar 5 10:42:45 PST 2005

(http://openib.org/pipermail/openib-general/2004-November/006765.html):
> "Assigning specific QPN for ipoib requires allocation of QPN space
which
> is beyond IB spec verbs. Current verbs do not allow it. I don't have
any
> objection for that, except that you have to hold a set of preallocated
> QPs with specific numbers and hand them over to privileged consumer
when
> requested to.  I wouldn't commit that it will work on any HCA
> architecture."
>
> -- Hal

Just to add to Hal and Dave, it is not only that the QPN may not be
constant, you can actually have few valid QPNs, one or more per
partition, since each partition reflects the notion of an IP
VLAN/Network the RARP should return different IP per partition, and the
RARP caller should use different QPN in each case.

I believe all the emails in this thread clarify why RARP is not a valid
approach

Yaron