[openib-general] Getting the code and locking user space memory regions

Timur Tabi timur.tabi at ammasso.com
Mon Mar 7 15:17:11 PST 2005

Hi,

A long time ago, the openib driver used a hack to call sys_mlock() to
lock down a user space memory region.  This was because get_user_pages()
wasn't completely locking the region like it was supposed to.

I haven't paid much attention to the openib stuff since then, but now I
want to know what the current development status is.  I know that a
driver is part of the 2.6.11 kernel, but that driver doesn't have any
user-mode support in it.

I tried to download the latest code from openib.org, but all I could
find was a web interface to "Subversion".  Obviously, this is too
cumbersome for downloading everything, so is there another way to get
all the code?

Also, I'd like to know what the current code does to lock memory
regions.  Does the driver still call sys_mlock()?  Has get_user_pages()
been fixed (my tests show it hasn't).  Is there another technique used?

--
Timur Tabi
Staff Software Engineer
timur.tabi at ammasso.com