[openib-general] Re: ANNOUNCE: First usable version of userspace verbs

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Thu Mar 10 23:17:02 PST 2005

Quoting r. Grant Grundler <iod00d at hp.com>:
> Subject: Re: [openib-general] Re: ANNOUNCE: First usable version of userspace verbs
>
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 10:29:20AM -0800, Roland Dreier wrote:
> >     Michael> Applying the folowing patch fixes the problem for me for
> >     Michael> x86_64.
> >
> > Thanks for diagnosing this.  I think I want to work on a more general
> > fix though.
>
> Crap. /usr/include/linux/compiler.h shows "barrier" but on debian,
> it's #ifdef __KERNEL__ only.
I think its because its a kernel header. current distributions seem to
put a copy of kernel headers under /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm.
I suspect using these isnt allowed.

> I'm wondering if xf86 has the same problem
> for graphics drivers talking to cards.
>
> I'm not certain barrier would be the "perfect" solution, but expect
> it should DTRT.
>
> grant

Actually I think we need a wmb here. It just happens to be
equivalent to barrier on x86_64.

--
MST - Michael S. Tsirkin