[openib-general] vstat error on bproc slave node (VAPI_EGEN)

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Mon Mar 14 09:37:55 PST 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, gshipman wrote:

> I am attempting to configure our small cluster to use bproc and openib.
> Note I am using gen1 on kernel 2.6.6 patched with the clustermatic
> stuff, (should I be using gen2, is it stable for general use?).

use gen2. I have tested it and it is ok.

> I have successfully gotten things going on the head node including opensm. I
> have successfully gotten the slave nodes to run the patched kernel, load the
> appropriate modules as well as the various user level libraries but I am
> having an issue on the slave nodes:
>
> If I run:
> $bpsh 13 /usr/mellanox/bin/vstat
> 1 HCA found:
>         hca_id=InfiniHost0
> Error: Could not retrieve handle to the HCA InfiniHost0 (VAPI_EGEN)

arg. I used to have this a lot.

It's a mellanox issue, and it's a pain to work around. Can you just cut to
gen2 and stop using gen1? I would really recommend for future use only
using gen2 and not using any of the mellanox stuff. I realize user level
is not there yet but I think it is worth just waiting for.

ron