[openib-general] Port of NetPIPE-3.6.2 to OpenIB userspace verbs

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Wed Mar 16 08:52:56 PST 2005

    Troy> Sooo... what's the easiest way for me to test this if I have
    Troy> opterons with 2.6.11.4 kernels?

    Troy> (aka, just replace drivers/infiniband from the roland-uverbs
    Troy> branch? And does anyone have a clean way of building all the
    Troy> userspace stuff? What I've seen so far is pretty tedious)

Yes, the roland-uverbs src/linux-kernel/infiniband directory should
just drop in and replace the existing drivers/infiniband.  You'll want
to turn on CONFIG_INFINIBAND_USER_VERBS in your config (a new option)
to enable userspace verbs, load the ib_uverbs module (if you don't
build support into your kernel), and create /dev/infiniband/uverbs
device nodes (easiest way is to add

    KERNEL="uverbs*", NAME="infiniband/%k", MODE="0666"

to your udev rules).

To build the userspace verbs support, you just need to build
libibverbs and libmthca libraries (using the usual "./autogen.sh &&
./configure && make && make install" recipe).  I agree that the
management subdirectory has a few too many little pieces right now,
but it's not needed if you already have a subnet manager running
somewhere.

 - R.