[openib-general] Port of NetPIPE-3.6.2 to OpenIB userspace verbs

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Thu Mar 17 16:11:56 PST 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 08:52:56AM -0800, Roland Dreier wrote:
>     Troy> Sooo... what's the easiest way for me to test this if I have
>     Troy> opterons with 2.6.11.4 kernels?
>
>     Troy> (aka, just replace drivers/infiniband from the roland-uverbs
>     Troy> branch? And does anyone have a clean way of building all the
>     Troy> userspace stuff? What I've seen so far is pretty tedious)
>
> Yes, the roland-uverbs src/linux-kernel/infiniband directory should
> just drop in and replace the existing drivers/infiniband.  You'll want
> to turn on CONFIG_INFINIBAND_USER_VERBS in your config (a new option)
> to enable userspace verbs, load the ib_uverbs module (if you don't
> build support into your kernel), and create /dev/infiniband/uverbs
> device nodes (easiest way is to add
>
>     KERNEL="uverbs*", NAME="infiniband/%k", MODE="0666"
>
> to your udev rules).
>
> To build the userspace verbs support, you just need to build
> libibverbs and libmthca libraries (using the usual "./autogen.sh &&
> ./configure && make && make install" recipe).  I agree that the
> management subdirectory has a few too many little pieces right now,
> but it's not needed if you already have a subnet manager running
> somewhere.

The management/Makefile and management/Readme in roland-uverbs were very
usefull.

The only real gotcha I had was I didn't install in /usr/local/lib, and
set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the libraries.. thus libibverbs couldn't
find libmthca.so, and the error messages weren't particularly
informative.