[openib-general] ipoib/mthca broken on ia64?

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Wed Mar 23 12:16:08 PST 2005

    > iowa:/usr/src/linux-2.6# cat /sys/class/infiniband/mthca0/ports/*/state
    > 1: DOWN
    > 2: INIT

It looks like the driver is working but the SM isn't bringing the
ports to the active state.  The problem could still be on the host or
the switch unfortunately.  What do you see in the files

    /sys/class/infiniband/mthca0/ports/2/counters/port_rcv_packets
    /sys/class/infiniband/mthca0/ports/2/counters/port_xmit_packets

    > Both systems are connected to a TS-90 switch (12 port?) which
    > implements it own SM. Does this need a firmware upgrade maybe?

It's entirely possible.  Have you used the same switch successfully in
the past?  You can check that the switch's SM is still working by
connecting a cable directly from one switch port to another.  You
should see both LEDs come on for both ports (possibly after a couple
second delay) if the SM is still running.

I believe the switch ports will get to INIT even with the embedded CPU
completely hosed, so it's possible your switch has crashed or failed completely.

 - R.