[openib-general] [RMPP] RMPP formatting assumptions

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Thu Mar 31 16:16:14 PST 2005

So far, here are my assumptions regarding the formatting of the RMPP MADs.

The following fields in the RMPP header are set by the user:
Version, Type = DATA, RTime, Flags = ACTIVE, and Status = 0

The RMPP code will set the SegNum and update the Flags, but uses the
ACTIVE bit to determine if the user requires RMPP for a given transfer.
  I could easily have the RMPP code set some of these fields, but
thought that the caller might be able to initialize them more efficiently.

The WR length of a transfer should equal the size of the MAD header,
the RMPP header, class specific header for SA or vendor, plus a data
buffer that is evenly divisible by the size of the class' Data field.
This requirement is needed to prevent the RMPP code from allocating and
copying data segments.

The payload field in the RMPP header should be set to the size of the
class specific header plus the number of valid bytes of user data in
the data buffer.  The RMPP code will adjust the payload value to
account for multiple headers.

Comments?