[openib-general] Re: RFD: uverbs and hotplug

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Wed May 4 04:44:39 PDT 2005

Quoting r. Tom Duffy <tduffy at sun.com>:
> Subject: Re: RFD: uverbs and hotplug

> Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 10:52:45 +0300
>

> On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 09:42 -0700, Caitlin Bestler wrote:
> > Most applications are not written to be able to
> > survice a sudden loss of virtually all of its connections, and then resume
> > all of the suspended sessions with new connections using new memory
> > regions.
>
> Most applications *should* be written this way.  Especially since more
> and more people are using unreliable networks (wifi, 3G, etc.).  I can
> see a day where we have RDMA-capable wireless adapters in which case
> applications will have to be written with the possibility of a sudden
> loss taken into account.
>
> -tduffy

The problem is not that hard. The driver must provide sufficient
information to discover that the device went down and which requests
were serviced before the device went down.

Libraries such as MPI will be able to use that to resend these requests on
a different HCA or after an HCA is plugged back in.

Applications will simply use this library and be happy.

--
MST - Michael S. Tsirkin