[openib-general] How about ib_send_page() ?

Jeff Carr jcarr at linuxmachines.com
Mon May 16 15:54:18 PDT 2005

Libor Michalek wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 03:26:57PM -0700, Jeff Carr wrote:
>
>>It seems to me it would be useful to have a simple ib_send_page() function.
>>
>>This is essentially what I'm going to end up writing for what I need IB
>>to do. If there is anyone else that has similar needs or interests I'd
>>be happy to work with them.
>>
>>The CM works well enough to allow me to initiate connections between
>>HCA's. I'm now going to spend some time trying to write something to
>>kmalloc pages and test the different ways to initiate IB communication
>>between the hosts. Hopefully I can get something smart enough to perform
>>better than IPoIB does.
>

> FYI, this is what SDP in regular sockets mode is doing. The internal
> buffers are allocated using __get_free_page and then userspace data
> is copied to/from the buffer which are transmitted/received by posting
> send/receive on the allocated pages.

OK. Well I would rather make something generic. Besides, wasn't there
some MS patent issue? The last thread on the subject that I read kinda
made it sound like you were going to look into the issue and respond.
Maybe I missed the response; there's a lot of mail in the archives for
this list.

In any case, I'd rather just make something more generic that perhaps
can be used with NBD.

Jeff