[openib-general] How about ib_send_page() ?

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Wed May 18 13:42:21 PDT 2005

    Felix> I get just above 5G on RX (goodput, as reported by netperf)
    Felix> on a single opteron 248 (100%) using standard ethernet MTU
    Felix> (1500).

    Felix> TX performance is higher (close to 7G), but it is probably
    Felix> not the kind of comparison that you're interested in, since
    Felix> TSO removes the dependency on the wire MTU.

    Felix> Similarly, the TOE completely shields the host from the
    Felix> wire MTU (in addition of removing ACK traffic) and I'm
    Felix> getting 7.5G RX and TX with about 50% CPU utilization
    Felix> (user/kernel space memory copy!)

    Felix> These numbers are without NAPI.

Thanks very much for posting these numbers.  It's interesting to me
that you are using a single CPU for benchmarking.  How do the numbers
compare if you run on an SMP system?  Obviously there is more CPU
available but there are SMP losses due to cacheline pingpong, "lock"
prefix and other locking overhead, etc.

Thanks,
  Roland