[openib-general] Re: performance counters in /sys

Grant Grundler iod00d at hp.com
Sun May 22 20:58:30 PDT 2005

On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 08:33:51AM +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > That's good, IMHO.
>
> It will also prevent hotplug from working. So no, I dont think its good.

I agree that hotplug should work.
I'm just pointing out that keeping the file open should
prevent the driver from unloading.

> > Unloading the HCA driver will disable the device.
> > On ia64 platforms (and probably PPC too) will lead to hard fail on the
> > next MMIO read since the device won't respond to MMIO space accesses.
> >
> > "lsof /sys/class/infiniband" would help track down the monitoring tool.
>
> Who would do MMIO reads if the driver is unloaded?

No one if the /sys file was closed like we want them too.
I'm just pointing out the counters must point at an enabled device
for as long as any one of the /sys files was open.

thanks,
grant