[openib-general] Re: Re: libibverbs and max inline data

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Mon May 23 10:51:17 PDT 2005

Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
>>ib[v]_create_qp should return an error when an unsupported inline data
>>size is requested.
>
> Why is it important? The user could always check the max_inline_data
> returned and close the qp if thats too small, but I dont see
> many users doing this - inline data is mainly a tuning opportunity.

The user could also try to create the QP again if the request fails.  IMO, a
return value of success should be sufficient for an app to determine if a
request was successful.  Automatically reducing the inline data size
requested by the user, but indicating success is similar to allocating a QP
smaller than what was requested, but still indicating success.