[openib-general] umad abi 2 v 3 and multicast join failed

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Wed May 25 16:06:58 PDT 2005

I was running a crufty version of opensm (compiled from the
roland-uverbs branch), and I started getting these kinds of errors for
no apparent reason:

ib0: multicast join failed for ff12:401b:ffff:0:0:0:ffff:ffff, status
-22
ib0: multicast join failed for ff12:401b:ffff:0:0:0:ffff:ffff, status
-22

I'm running 2.6.11 kernels, and 'stock' modules.. I just tried
rebuilding opensm from the latest SVN, but it apparently needs a new
umad driver..

warn: [24878] umad_init: wrong ABI version:
/sys/class/infiniband_mad/abi_version is 2 but library ABI is 3

I suppose I need to rebuild the kernel ib_umad (and maybe everything
else for good measure).. And if I do that, should I expect OpenSM to
work better regarding the multicast issue?

Also, what will happen if I run opensm on two different nodes? Will they
fight, or will one of them figure out how to be a backup slave SM if the
first goes down?

Troy Benjegerdes                'da hozer'                hozer at hozed.org

Somone asked my why I work on this free (http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/)
software stuff and not get a real job. Charles Shultz had the best answer:

"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's why
I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Shultz