[openib-general] [HELP] Encounter Kernel Panic when Add MellanoxHCA Supporting on 2.6.9 Kernel

Woodruff, Robert J robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Wed May 25 16:25:38 PDT 2005

    Bob> Ok, I was able to reproduce this error on an IA32 system,
    Bob> running the redhat 2.6.9-5.EL (UP kernel) with the IB patches
    Bob> applied. It turned out to be a problem with the HCA card that
    Bob> had older firmware, 3.0.1.

Roland> Did you get any kind of stack dump or traceback?

>We really shouldn't panic on downrev FW, so I'd like to get to the
>bottom of this.

> - R.

Unfortunately not, I did not have CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK set and
I did not save the old firmware before loading in the new firmware.

Perhaps Lenber can get the traceback info before he updates his card.
That would be helpful as I agree it is not desirable to panic
on cards with old firmware.

woody