[openib-general] OpenIB and OpenRDMA: Convergence on common RDMA APIs and ULPs for Linux

Christoph Hellwig hch at lst.de
Thu May 26 04:31:34 PDT 2005

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 06:38:36PM -0700, Venkata Jagana wrote:
> However, we also have a challenge to address in implementing these common
> ULPs and APIs
> since OpenIB is currently using verbs PI for Linux defined through an open
> source process and
> OpenRDMA is currently defining RNIC-PI (supporting RNIC and IB compatible
> verbs) for Linux
> based on the industry standard evolving through Opengroup/ICSC and open
> source community reviews.

The  RNIC-PI APIs are a total piece of junk redoing all the mistakes
DAPL, IT-API & friends did.  And the comittee is absolutely not willing
to listen to open source community feedback.

I'd suggest your start looking at the current OpenIB APIs and how they
can be extented to not only cover IB but iWARP aswell, adding layers
or abstraction and generalization where needed,