[Rdma-developers] RE: [openib-general] OpenIB and OpenRDMA: Convergence on common RDMAAPIs and ULPs for Linux

Caitlin Bestler caitlinb at siliquent.com
Fri May 27 10:07:16 PDT 2005

OpenIB's announced charter was IB specific. There was no
announcement that the intent was to define *all* RDMA
services.

Where were you when RNIC-PI was discussing these issues?
It's announced charter *was* to be transport neutral and
OS neutral.

But that's water under the bridge. The fact is that both
IB and iWARP vendors have existing development efforts
and any realistic plan will recognize that. The question
is to what degree code can be made common without requiring
anyone to start over from scratch.

That may involve merely defining critical interfaces with
the rest of the OS, and then splitting into two transport
dependent sub-systems. Or it may be possible to come up
with a transport-neutral low level API.

The latter goal is indeed desirable, but I am skeptical
that it is compatible with the needs of either IB or iWARP
vendors to be making forward progress on actual code today.

It may make more sense to agree on the fundamental interfaces
to the rest of the kernel, and on approximately what transport
neutral verbs might look like someday, and then to develop
in parallel until there is two branches of code that both
work before attempting to merge them.