[Rdma-developers] Re: [openib-general] OpenIB and OpenRDMA: Convergence on common RDMAAPIs and ULPs for Linux

Tom Duffy tduffy at sun.com
Tue May 31 17:25:03 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 16:43 -0700, Venkata Jagana wrote:
> > AFAICT the openib.org steering group doesn't control the content
> > of the svn.openib.org source tree. It manages things like web
> content,
> > overall charter, etc ....
>
> Don't agree. If you have read the email thread on this discussion,
> you would find that steering committee need to decide whether openIB
> should work on including the support for iWARP. Not that I am
> supporting this idea -:)

Please don't confuse the development effort going on this list
(openib-general) with the corporation that sponsors the development.
OpenIB as a (non-profit) corporation is setup with a charter and has
bylaws, etc.  Its goal may be IB specific at the moment.

But, the developers and the development on this list and in the
subversion repository don't answer to the OpenIB board of directors.
Developers are free to write whatever code they chose to.  There is
nothing stopping the maintainers from taking iWARP patches *today*.
OpenIB, as a corporation, may not put its name behind the work, but that
is another matter.

If the board of directors of OpenIB decide to cease sponsorship because
the developers don't jive with its corporate goals, then development can
continue elsewhere.

-tduffy