[openib-general] Re: Questions about libibat, ib_uat, and ib_a

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Wed Nov 2 03:58:02 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 01:02, Pradeep Satyanarayana wrote:
> openib-general-bounces at openib.org wrote on 10/18/2005 03:40:47 PM:

> kernel

> like a

> list and
> > >

> Can some one point me to the previous discussions on this list (search
> did not yield any results)?

There were various posts from Heiko J Schick <SCHICKHJ at de.ibm.com> on
10/17 and subsequent ones from Kevin.

> The problem is because of a copy_to_user (in uat.c) between struct
> ib_at_ib_route
> which are different between user and kernel space causing this crash.
> What was the rationale of putting a pointer to struct ibv_device in
> the user space version of
> ib_at_ib_route? The out_dev field in user space is not really used as
> far as I could see.
>
> > >The fix for this involves an ABI change: it should return the GID
> of the
> > >outgoing IB device.
> > >

> Would a simple solution like adding a device_name field to both the
> ib_at_ib_route structures
> be acceptable? The out_dev field could be used as a "reserved" field
> in user space and not be used.
> That should not break anything as far as I can see.

Ideally, the current out_dev field should be removed and all consumers
should be converted over to the new structures/interfaces.

Guess the question also is whether people want this by name, GID, or
both ?

-- Hal