[openib-general] [ANNOUNCE] ContributeRDS(ReliableDatagramSockets) to OpenIB

Bob Woodruff robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Fri Nov 4 11:31:04 PST 2005

Catlin wrote,
>Going from one connection for each pair of application endpoints
>to one connection for each pair of hosts is a major improvement.
>For most applications going down to a single QP after that is
>not sufficiently valuable to add the complexity of working over
>a totally unreliable protocol.

I agree that there is some improvement in going from one QP per
UDP socket to one per node, but it still will likely not
scale to 10,000 node clusters, which is something that Oracle
probably does not care about, but others in HPC do.

If we are going to invent a Reliable Datagram Service, shouldn't
it be made to scale so that MPIs that currently use datagrams
could also benefit ?

woody