[openib-general] [ANNOUNCE] Contribute RDS(ReliableDatagramSockets) to OpenIB

Roland Dreier rolandd at cisco.com
Fri Nov 4 18:49:19 PST 2005

    Rick> Do you mean useTCP and the RC transport in the ethernet
    Rick> verbs provider ?

No, I mean just write RDS for ethernet on top of sockets.  I don't
think it's worth implementing a whole RDMA provider on top of ethernet
just so you can use the same RDS code.  The SilverStorm RDS code is
only about 10K lines of code, and I think a sane implementation would
probably be less than 5K, so you're not getting much benefit from from
all the effort of writing an RDMA provider.

In fact I'm not sure that it doesn't make sense to implement RDS as a
library + daemon completely in userspace.

 - R.