[openib-general] some bugs that can be found using the gen2_basic in the contrib/m ellanox folder

Dotan Barak dotanb at mellanox.co.il
Tue Nov 8 04:24:03 PST 2005

Hi Roland, look bellow.

>  - Several of the tests are buggy.  See the patch below at least.

you are absolutely right: the tests should be written without any bug,
we will check the issues you wrote in the patch and check that we don't
have
any more bugs in the tests.

>  - It would be much more useful if the COMPARE() macro printed the
>    expected and actual value on failure.

this macro will be changed to print the values in case of failure.

>  - Similarly, other macros should probably also print more context.
>    For example, in something like:
>
>                 CHECK_PTR("ibv_create_qp", qp[i], goto cleanup);
>
>    I would probably want to know the value of i on failure.
will see how we can add debug prints in those cases.

>  - I don't believe some of the tests are really valid.  For example,
>    the max number of QPs doesn't have to be precisely correct -- no
>    valid app is going to depend on being able to create exactly that
>    number of QPs and no more.
This is true, but in a black box testing, we wanted to check that there
isn't
any array overrun or any other bug when one tries to create more
resources than
the HCA/driver supports.

>  - In any case, I'm not convinced that this sort of negative testing
>    is the most valuable thing to focus on right now.  I think it would
>    be better to have regression tests of basic functionality (sends,
>    receives, RDMA, CQ polling, etc) and stress tests before testing
>    whether a buggy app will get the right error value when passing
>    invalid parameters.
in this test (gen2_basic) we check many tests cases (good + bad flows)
to check the driver
(to check that the return value indicates that there is/isn't any error
and to check that
there isn't any seg fault or kernel crash).

We started to write several tests (basic functionality + stress tests)
and soon we will check in
the tests to the svn (and the changes that you suggested).

thank you, feedback is always welcome ...
Dotan