[openib-general] SDP close / linger problem

Don.Dhondt at Bull.com Don.Dhondt at Bull.com
Tue Nov 8 11:40:05 PST 2005

I am posting this for Jerome Pioux. He is still having problems posting to
this list.
Don Dhondt

I have a problem at closure time with client-server apps when using SDP.

The problem is that it ALWAYS takes the "LINGER" time value for one or the
other side
to complete the close() and regardless of what the value was set at (2s,
10s 30s, 60s...)

>From my understanding, if the LINGER option is set, the close is queued up
on your
send queue behind all other data potentially already queued up at the
time. But, if there
are no data queued up, the close should be immediate.

On "my" app, this is always the receiver side that experiences the problem
(the app is
symetrical this is why there is a LINGER on the receiver side).

I added a close in ttcp (ttcp does not use explicit close) with a linger
time and the sender
is now the one that always experiences this problem.

I believe that, for both apps, all data have been sent (and received)
correctly before the
close - nothing (at least from the app view) is in the "pipe" (I had the
app to report that
before the closes).

Finally, both app work fine using IPoIB - I meant that for the same tests,
the closes are
immediate, regardless of the LINGER values.

Any idea please?
I can provide traces if needed - please tell me what is needed and how to
get them.

Thank you,
Jerome

ps: ia64 / RHEL4 / 2.6.12 / sn rev 3882