[openib-general] [ANNOUNCE] Contribute RDS(ReliableDatagramSockets) to OpenIB

Rick Frank Richard.Frank at oracle.com
Wed Nov 9 10:28:06 PST 2005

Yes, the application is responsible for detecting lost msgs at the application level - the transport can not do this.

RDS does not guarantee that a message has been delivered to the application - just that once the transport has accepted a msg it will deliver the msg to the remote node in order without duplication - dealing with retransmissions, etc due to sporadic / intermittent msg loss over the interconnect. If after accepting the send - the current path fails - then RDS will transparently fail over to another path - and if required will resend / send any already queued msgs to the remote node - again insuring that no msg is duplicated and they are in order.  This is no different than APM - with the exception that RDS can do this across HCAs.

The application - Oracle in this case - will deal with detecting a catastrophic path failure - either due to a send that does not arrive and or a timedout response or send failure returned from the transport. If there is no network path to a remote node - it is required that we remove the remote node from the operating cluster to avoid what is commonly termed as a "split brain" condition - otherwise known as a "partition in time".

BTW - in our case - the application failure domain logic is the same whether we are using UDP /  uDAPL / iTAPI / TCP / SCTP / etc. Basically, if we can not talk to a remote node - after some defined period of time - we will remove the remote node from the cluster. In this case the database will recover all the interesting state that may have been maintained on the removed node - allowing the remaining nodes to continue. If later on, communication to the remote node is restored - it will be allowed to rejoin the cluster and take on application load.