[openib-general] [ANNOUNCE] Contribute RDS ( ReliableDatagramSockets) to OpenIB

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Thu Nov 10 12:44:50 PST 2005

At 10:48 AM 11/10/2005, Caitlin Bestler wrote:

>Mike Krause wrote in response to Greg Lindahl:
>

> >       If it is to be reasonably robust, then RDS should be required to
>support
> > the resync between the two sides of the communication.  This aligns
>with the
> > stated objective of implementing reliability in one location in
>software and
> > one location in hardware.  Without such resync being required in the
>ULP,
> > then one ends up with a ULP that falls shorts of its stated objectives
>and
> > pushes complexity back up to the application which is where the
>advocates
> > have stated it is too complex or expensive to get it correct.
>

>I haven't reread all of RDS fine print to double-check this, but my
>impression is that RDS semantics exactly match the subset of MPI
>point-to-point communications where the receiving rank is required
>to have pre-posted buffers before the send is allowed.

My concern is the requirement that RDS resync the structures in the face of
failure and know whether to re-transmit or will deal with
duplicates.  Having pre-posted buffers will help enable the resync to be
accomplished but should not be equated to pre-post equals one can deal with
duplicates or will verify to prevent duplicates from occurring.

Mike