[openib-general] socket based connection model for IB proposal -round 3

Fab Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Thu Nov 10 13:52:44 PST 2005

Looks fine to me overall.  The only thing I would change is make the version
field 4 bits rather than just 2, and shift the IP version down 2 bits,
eliminating the reserved bits.  That way, the first byte is split evenly between
protocol version and IP version.

Do we even need to indicate the IP version, or can IPv4 addresses be expressed
as IPv6 addresses just by zeroing the first 12 bytes?

I don't understand the relevance of the 0-based VA or Send with Invalidate
discussion points.  They seem orthogonal to the socket-based CM proposal, and
IMO should be moved to a separate proposal.

I have no opinion one way or another on the presence of the protocol field.  It
could just as well be left as "flags" for the consumer to do with what they
please.

- Fab