[openib-general] RE: [dat-discussions] socket based connectionmodel for IB proposal - round 3

Kanevsky, Arkady Arkady.Kanevsky at netapp.com
Fri Nov 11 05:21:13 PST 2005

So what you are proposing is that Listener will specify IETF port (2
bytes).
CM will generate an IB SID to listen on. That SID will have wildcarding
for 24 bits.
The requestor will specify: version, IP version, SRC port and DST port.
Based on that CM will generate the SID to send request to.
It will also encode IP addresses into Private data based on IP version.

This makes IP addresses, SIDs and private data format interdependent and
not
orthogonal which it is now.
It also changes the meaning of SID which currently has a meaning of TCP
port.

It also does not allow to use the private data formating for other SIDs.

It looks like a big hack. Is it worth it for extra 4 bytes of private
data
for Consumers?

Arkady

Arkady Kanevsky                       email: arkady at netapp.com
Network Appliance Inc.               phone: 781-768-5395
275 Totten Pond Rd.                  Fax: 781-895-1195
Waltham, MA 02451-2010          central phone: 781-768-5300