[openib-general] RE: [dat-discussions] socket basedconnectionmodel for IB proposal - round 3

Fab Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Fri Nov 11 12:18:18 PST 2005

Do we need the remote side to vouch for that portion of the private data?  The
recipient of a CM REQ can validate fully that the GIDs in the path record match
the IP addresses.  That was the whole point of this proposal - eliminate the
need to do some reverse lookup of GID to IP based on the source GID in the path
record.  With the source IP provided in the private data, the recipient of the
CM REQ can do a forward lookup of that IP address and validate that the GID
returned matches the one in the CM REQ path.  Thus, all address translation can
use forward lookups and we eliminate the flaws of the reverse lookup schemes
that are currently in use.

It doesn't matter one bit if the CM REQ private data was formatted by a
privileged entity or not - garbage in the private data can be detected by the
receiving entity, even one that sits above the IB CM.

- Fab