[openib-general] [ANNOUNCE] Contribute RDS(ReliableDatagramSockets) to OpenIB

Nitin Hande Nitin.Hande at Sun.COM
Mon Nov 14 12:49:39 PST 2005

Michael Krause wrote:
> At 01:02 PM 11/11/2005, Ranjit Pandit wrote:
>
>> On 11/11/05, Michael Krause <krause at cup.hp.com> wrote:
>> > Please clarify the following which was in the document provided by
>> Oracle.
>> >
>> > On page 3 of the RDS document, under the section "RDP Interface",
>> the 2nd
>> > and 3rd paragraphs are state:
>> >
>> >    * RDP does not guarantee that a datagram is delivered to the remote
>> > application.
>> >    * It is up to the RDP client to deal with datagrams lost due to
>> transport
>> > failure or remote application failure.
>> >
>> > The HCA is still a fault domain with RDS - it does not address
>> flushing data
>> > out of the HCA fault domain, nor does it sound like it ensures that
>> CQE loss
>> > is recoverable.
>> >
>> > I do believe RDS will replay all of the sendmsg's that it believes are
>> > pending, but it has no way to determine if already sent sendmsgs were
>> > actually successfully delivered to the remote application unless it
>> provides
>> > some level of resync of the outstanding sends not completed from an
>> > application's perspective as well as any state updated via RDMA
>> operations
>> > which may occur without an explicit send operation to flush to a known
>> > state.  I'm still trying to ascertain whether RDS completely
>> recovers from
>> > HCA failure (assuming there is another HCA / path available) between
>> the two
>> > endnodes.
>>
>> RDS will replay the sends that are completed in error by the HCA,
>> which typically would happen if the current path fails or the remote
>> node/HCA dies.
>

> Does this mean that the receiving RDS entity is responsible for dealing
> with duplicates?
I believe so...

A Send completion error does not mean that the
> receiving endnode did not receive the data for either IB or iWARP; it
> only indicates that the Send operation failed which could be just a loss
> of the receive ACK with the Send completing on the receiver.  Such a
> scenario would imply that RDS would have to comprehend what buffers have
> actually been consumed before retransmission, i.e. a resync is
> performed, else one could receive duplicate data at the application
> layer which can cause corruption or other problems as a function of the
> application (tolerance will vary by application thus the ULP must
> present consistent semantics to enable a broader set of applications
> than perhaps the initial targeted application to be supported).
In absence of any protocol level ack (and regardless of protocol level
ack), it is the application which has to implement its own
reliability. RDS becomes a passive channel passing packet back and
forth including duplicate packets. The responsibility then shifts to
the application to figure out what is missing, duplicate's etc.

Thanks
Nitin