[openib-general] Announce: preview RPMs for FC-4 and RHEL-4 available

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Tue Nov 15 17:04:18 PST 2005

I have initial RPM support for both of these releases available for
use/testing.  For Fedora Core 4, I didn't compile a new kernel since the
current FC4 kernel is 2.6.14 based and includes the upstream Infiniband
support.  For RHEL4 I obviously compiled a new kernel, but it used the
code pulled from OpenIB's svn trunk as opposed to upstream.  As a
result, there is actually more functionality in the RHEL4 kernel than in
the FC4 kernel.

The FC4 kernel includes the Mellanox host adapter driver, what parts of
the core stack that have been submitted upstream, and ipoib.  The RHEL4
kernel includes similar core features, the Mellanox host driver, ipoib,
sdp, and srp support.  I did not include kDAPL nor iSER because of the
apparent rejection of kDAPL by upstream and the current dependency of
iSER on kDAPL.

All of the user land tools were also built from the same svn trunk pull
as the kernel support.  So far, I've put libmthca, libibverbs, and a
package I termed opensm but really includes the entire management
directory out of the user space portion of the tree.  I anticipate
adding libsdp, udapl, and the user space components to go along with srp
(persistent bindings at boot up support) over the next couple weeks.
I've had requests for the mvapich-gen2 support, but I'm not sure if that
will make it.

All of this was done using the 3965 version of the svn trunk.  For the
most part, I don't plan to rebase again prior to release, so from here
on out it's likely to be bug fixes only that go in.

In addition to the actual IB rpms, there have been several updated base
RPMs, such as module-init-tools to pick up the right device aliases and
such as part of the modprobe.conf.dist and udev to get the device naming
rules correct.  There will likely be a few more base package updates
before things are finished (for instance, system-config-network still
doesn't quite do the right thing with ipoib interfaces, nor does the
ifup-eth script work even with statically configured IP addresses due to
the default usage of arping to check to see if the IP address is already
in use segfaulting).

For the kernel, libmthca, and libibverbs, support is limited to x86,
x86_64, and ia64.  For the opensm package we support all arches.  Prior
to things being released, we will obviously get the kernel and others
working on all arches or note that support for those arches will be
coming later (all ppc based arches: s390, s390x, ppc, ppc64,
ppc64iseries, are the excluded ones at the moment).

Anyway, they're available on my web page at:

If you try these out and have any problems, please email me directly
(and feel free to Cc: the list) for more immediate responses.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
http://people.redhat.com/dledford