[openib-general] Announce: preview RPMs for FC-4 and RHEL-4available

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Mon Nov 21 19:29:06 PST 2005

>uDAPL can be built to use either the OpenIB verbs-cm or socket-cm
>(cma) interfaces.
>
>I would recommend the socket-cm (cma) interface as that is the
>interface that will support both IB and iWARP providers.

There are three options for uDAPL: the IB CM, a socket-based CM, or the
connection manager abstraction (CMA).  Long term, I believe that you'll want the
CMA, but short term the socket-based CM has been tested more.

The IB CM requires an address translation service, such as ib_at.  Ib_at has
some stability issues, but its needed functionality was incorporated into
components used by the CMA.  The uDAPL port to the CMA is being tested now, and
should be available within a couple of days.

The socket-based CM exchanges QP information over a TCP/IP connection, but is
limited in its functionality.  Most of the QP attributes are hard-coded, and its
implementation is limited to a single port on the HCA.