[openib-general] Re: [RFC] OpenSM: include svn version in build string

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Tue Nov 22 12:23:24 PST 2005

> I dont think its a good idea to add dependency on svnversion to
> the makefile.
>
> Lets just add --with-version= option to configure.
> Then the user can run it --with-version=`svnversion`

If you remove the automatic generation of the version info from
svnversion, you defeat the whole purpose of having it in the first
place. If I have to remember to add '--with-version', the one time that
it matters I'll forget and then when Hal asks me what version I have
I'll tell him the wrong one.

OpenMPI generates a version string from svnversion in the configure
script.. This would be a good way to do it if it's not in the makefile
directly.