[openib-general] [RFC] IB address translation using ARP

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Fri Oct 7 09:20:17 PDT 2005

At 06:38 AM 9/30/2005, Caitlin Bestler wrote:

> [...]

It must be viewed as such.  The cross over point between the two domains
represents independent management domains, trust domains, reliable delivery
domains, etc.

>I do not believe it is possible to construct a transport
>layer gateway that bridges RDMA between IB and iWARP while
>appearing to be a normal RDMA endpoint on both networks.
>Higher level gateways will be possible for many
>applications, but I don't see how that relates to
>connection establishment. That would require having
>an end-to-end reliable connection, complete with flow
>control semantics, that bridged the two networks by
>some method other than encapsulation or tunneling.

We took steps to insure that both IB and iWARP could transmit packets in
the main data path very efficiently between the two interconnects but it
was never envisioned that a connection was truly end-to-end transparent
across the gateway component.  I think most of the architects would not
support such an effort to define such a beast.  There are many issues in
attempting such an offering.  Just examine all of the problems with the
existing iSCSI to FC solutions; they ignore a number of customer issues and
hence have been relegated in many customer minds as TTM, play toys not
ready for prime time.  This is one of the many reasons why iSCSI has not
taken off as the hype portrayed.

It would be best to define a CM architecture that enabled communication
between like endpoints and avoid the gateway dilemma. Let the gateway
provider work out such issues as there are many requirements already on
each side of these interconnects.

Mike