[openib-general] [RFC] IB address translation using ARP

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Fri Oct 7 13:10:34 PDT 2005

Yaron Haviv wrote:
> Sean, I believe this is exactly how it is been proposed
> The gateway is the endpoint in IB, and the IB CM request is done against
> the gateway, the gateway may decide to create its own connection on the

Yes - I agree with that.  I'm referring to the RDMA connection manager, versus
the IB connection manager.

> targeted to a certain IP range/subnet/non-local will end up in the
> gateway without the need to specify address by address individually
> (just like its done in IP)

IP is connectionless, so I'm not sure how to relate from IP to the RDMA CM.
With TCP, the connection is to the actual endpoint, not the IP router.  This
seems more similar to an application requesting a connection to a proxy server.