[openib-general] [RFC] IB address translation using ARP

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Fri Oct 7 14:02:09 PDT 2005

Hal Rosenstock wrote:
>>IP is connectionless, so I'm not sure how to relate from IP to the RDMA CM.
>

> IP is connectionless but has been implemented on top of connection
> oriented link layers which may gateway to other connection oriented link
> layers or non connection oriented link layers. I think it is analagous
> to that.

I didn't think that IP was even being run in this case.  Aren't we talking about
an application level gateway?  If the RDMA CM ran a protocol that ensured that
data sent from the source reached the actual destination, then this would make
more sense to me.  But the protocol is coming from the client.

I just don't think that the RDMA CM should connect to a gateway under the
assumption that a client is running a protocol that operates this way.  If the
source and destination were both running iWarp, then wouldn't a connection be
established to the actual destination, and not a gateway?