[openib-general] [RFC] IB address translation using ARP

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Fri Oct 7 17:13:18 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 19:57, Sean Hefty wrote:
> Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> > Would an iWARP connection jump across IP subnets ? It would need to
> > determine that it could do this (ala NHRP with ATM). Also, could there
> > be other RDMA networks between them (like IB) ?
>
> if iWarp is on top of TCP, I don't think that it would care about IP subnets.

I think iWARP can be on top of TCP or SCTP. But why wouldn't it care ?
Doesn't a routing decision still need to be made at the IP layer ?
Doesn't the IP next hop need to be determined (e.g. gateway when the
destination is off the local IP subnet) ? Is there something that
precludes iWARP from working across IP subnets ?