[openib-general] IRQ sharing on PCIe bus

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Tue Oct 11 12:03:04 PDT 2005

At 02:05 PM 10/10/2005, Roland Dreier wrote:
>     Roland> BTW, for "INTx emulation" on PCI Express, there are no
>     Roland> physical interrupt lines -- interrupts are asserted and
>     Roland> deasserted with messages.  So PCI Express interrupts are
>     Roland> unshared.
>
>     Michael> They are messages upstream that any device.

                                                      ^ sent

Sorry.  Insert "sent" above.

>That doesn't parse for me.  Was what I said wrong?

No.  Just clarifying that they are not unique per device.  INTx being a
message does not change the fundamental semantics of a "wire" being
asserted.  Hence, if the wire was shared before, then there is no reason
why this would not be the same with PCIe sans.  It really is an OS issue as
to how INTx interrupts are assigned to different processors and to what
extent then end up being shared.  The host bridge can play some tricks as
well as you noted.  Again, the goal within the PCI-SIG is to move people to
MSI-X and to eliminate INTx long-term.  In fact, one area under development
is asking the SIG's members whether INTx can be eliminated entirely which
would go a long ways to simplifying designs both in hardware and software.

Mike